This beautiful 1976 BMW R90/S was brought to Revival to be restored to its original condition. Our client owned the donor bike since new, and for many years used it as his daily rider. Over time, it was ridden less and less, and eventually, left to sit for decades. After our consultation, we gained an understanding of our client’s love for the far sportier legendary R90/S. Naturally, this project evolved into a custom build of a gentleman’s sport-tourer based on the legendary R90/S and nicknamed the Fox BMW R90esque.
The R90/S was first introduced in 1973 and is considered one of the first super-bikes and was the first such machine from BMW. In retrospect, it may have been one of the earliest incarnations of what would later be known as a sport-tourer. Some say the term was first coined to describe the R90/S: a machine designed to cover long distances quickly and in relative comfort—particularly if the route had many twists and turns.
The first U.S.A. AMA Superbike Championship was won in 1976 by Reg Pridmore riding an R90/S. The bike runs the quarter-mile in around 13.5 seconds and goes from 0-60 MPH (0-100 km/h) in just over 5.4 seconds. It is impressively capable of maintaining long distances at high speeds in relative comfort. Not bad for a 67 BHP pushrod twin!
- The engine was stripped and rebuilt in house, with new pistons, rings and valves fitted.
- An engine cover was fabricated as a one-off piece that allowed us to fit a new bespoke wiring harness with Vape ignition, Motogadget M-unit Blue, Anti-Gravity lithium iron battery housed in a Revival bracket and a Ricks reg rec
- A new light weight starter motor fitted
- Dellorto PHM 38mm round slide carburettors with accelerator pump fitted, with custom fabricated inlet manifold adaptors, with custom Venhill throttle cables
- Tomaselli twin cable throttle
- New seat unit fabricated in house from aluminum with a Biltwell taillight Frenched in
- Custom subframe fabricated and a one off tail tidy
- A Revival Limited custom upholstered seat
- Revival Limited Palo Duro Panniers and custom brackets
- Fairing added with custom fairing stays. Fairing heavily modified to lose the stock bulky instrument cluster.
- Custom fabricated fenders and mounts
- Lester wheels sourced, fully refurbished and painted
- Custom axle machined
- Metzeler Perfect ME11 tires
- CR Suspension GP38RD fully adjustable 38mm forks and custom triple trees.
- Upgraded dual Brembo 4 pot calipers
- [Goodridge banjo fittings and Sniper brake lines] and custom brackets
- Kustom-Tech Master Cylinder and levers
- EBC fully floating discs
- Icon shocks sprung for client’s weight
- Frame stripped prepared and painted
- Motogadget M-lock keyless ignition.
- Motogadget Chronolassic speedo/tach
- [LSL handlebars]
- Motogadget M Blaze LED bar end turn signals
- Oberon Clamp-On Mirror
- Revival Type 1 Switch Housing
- Bates headlight and custom brackets
- Custom stainless exhaust system
- Custom paint work
- Motone Monza cap
- Tuned in house on our Axis dyno topping at 60bhp at the rear wheel, 52 ft-lbs
- Weighs 407lbs, as opposed to 468lbs when it came through the door.